Friday, September 10, 2010

Welcome Jordon's Journey!

| |
We have another very exciting new local project in Jordon's Journey that we would like to welcome! Lisa Arndt is Jordon's mom and the project leader of Jordon's Journey, which donates bags in Missouri.

For more information on Jordan's Journey, please email Lisa at

Here is Jordon's Story . . .

Hello, My name is Lisa and I would like to share Jordon's Journey with you.

My husband Jim and I got married in September 1994. We knew that we wanted to start having children right away and in May of 1995 we got the exciting news that I was pregnant. But, at that time I was already 3 months along and losing a lot of weight. My doctor put me on bed rest and within the next 3 months we were over joyed to find out we were having a boy, and right away we decided on the name Jordon Tyler.

In late August I went to my doctor for my monthly checkup. I had lost 60 pounds in the last few months. He was worried about Jordon's weight so he sent me to the hospital for a ultrasound at which point they saw that I had lost all my placenta. The doctor admitted me to the hospital to be monitored and steroids pumped in me to build up Jordon's lungs. A couple of days later the nurses saw Jordon's heart rate dropping, she called the doctor and right away. Within minutes I was rushed into the operating room for a emergency c-section. With my husband by my side and my parents in the hallway waiting, little Jordon Tyler was born on September 4th, 1995. I was just a few days away from being 7 months along. Jordon let out a little cry, and he was taken to the NICU with my husband by his side. Later that night I was wheeled down to the NICU to see my baby. He weighed 1 pound 10oz and was 12 1/2 inches long. He was hooked up to all of these machines to monitor him and help him breathe. I was in shock; the NICU was such a scary place to me as I had never seen anything like it before. Jim and I felt so alone and could have never image something so small and fragile.

The next few weeks Jordon continued to be a fighter, he was gaining weight slowly but surely and was off the oxygen and able to be in room air. The doctors were very hopeful that Jordon was going to gain weight and pull through and make it. His only issues were that he was born so early that he would have developmental problems, but soon would catch up with children his age.

After 2 months and 18 days in the NICU, Jordon weighed 4 pounds and 7oz and was released from the hospital with a heart monitor the day before Thanksgiving. We were ecstatic and took him shopping for his first train set to put under the Christmas tree. We spent Thanksgiving day with family and friends and finally being able to be our little family of 3.

Those first two nights we kept him in our bedroom in the bassinet at night and the day after Thanksgiving he woke to be fed. As I held him in my arms that early morning his heart monitor went off, and he was gone. My husband did CPR while I called the ambulance. After they came and rushed him to nearest hospital, an hour later the doctor came into this little room and told us, "I'm sorry there was nothing we could do." They let us in the room with him, and we sat and held him and cried. Later after the autopsy we found out that he was missing the left pulmonary artery to his heart and that his kidneys and liver were damaged.

He is now our angel and watches over us everyday. He is dearly missed, and I hope Project Sweet Peas will help to honor his memory.


Post a Comment